skip navigation

Neff & Gampp Cheese Factory Site History

The history of the Neff & Gampp Cheese Factory site can be subdivided into two main occupation periods.
The first occupation period (1869 – c.1917) is associated with the construction of MDS 81 and its mid 19th – early 20th century use as a small rural cheese factory.  During this period, the factory was operated by at least eight owners, including:

1869-1873 – James Calwell & William Van Slyke
1873-1875 – James D. & Jacob P. Frank
1875-1888 – Andrew B. Neff & Jacob Gampp
1888-1890 – Andrew B. Neff (sole proprietor)
1890-1895 – John B. Zeilman & John Zetwick
1895-1904 – John Zetwick
1904-1912 – Ava Widrig
1912-1917 – Clifford D. Bond

The second occupation period (c.1917 – 1944) is associated with the MDS 81’s mid to late 20th century use as a domestic tenancy, as well as its abandonment and ruination after 1979.  During this period, the structure was owned by a series of at least six different landlords, and an unknown number of tenants.  They include:

1917      – Henry K. Kies
1917-1944 – Ernest Wulff
1944-1958 – Rita & Adelburt Wulff
1958-1959 – Adelbert Wulff
1959-2002 – Leon Hintz (MDS 81 demolished ca.1979)
2002-2007 – David O. & Vernon Hintz