Wilson-Folts Site Introduction
The Wilson-Folts site (A00902.000097, NYSM 11659, UB 3831) was excavated as part of cultural resource investigations undertaken in preparation for the construction of Segment 6 of the U.S. Route 219 highway, a 5.3 km (3.3 mi) section of the 4 lane divided highway, between Edies road and Neff road in the Town of Ashford, Cattaraugus County, New York. All aspects of this archaeological project conforms to New York Archaeological Council’s (NYAC) Standards for Cultural Resource Investigations (1994). The work scope and site limits were defined in consultation with the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Places, Clough Harbour & Associates, LLC, the New York State Department of Transportation and the Seneca Nation of Indians, Tribal Historic Preservation Office.
The Wilson-Folts site is situated on a portion of Lot 54 of Township 5, Range 6 at the project area’s southern end. It is associated with a domestic residence (MDS 1004) and possible farmstead complex occupied by one of Ashford Hollow’s first physicians, Abram B. Wilson (c.1848-1860). It was later re-occupied by Oliver Folts, a farmer and cheesemaker (c.1860-1900). Following abandonment, c.1900, MDS 1004 was demolished and its cellar pit was re-used as a rubbish dump by the property’s owner(s) until the mid 1980s.
The Wilson-Folts site is situated at the edge of a level terrace overlooking the Connoisarauley Creek flood plain. The flood plain boundary, a steeply sloped embankment, lies about 10 m (33 ft) west of the foundation and cellar hole. The creek itself lies 60 m (220 ft) further to the west. The creek itself lies 60 m (220 ft) further to the west. The embankment also denotes the modern boundary of the 100 year flood plain suggesting areas above its embankment, including that portion of the site’s deposits, were never affected by flooding. At the time of archaeological investigations, the site was bounded to the north and east by a cow pasture, to the south by Neff Road and to the west by a woodlot and yard associated with the adjacent residence at 9283 Neff Road.